Saturday, July 29, 2017

A First Try....Stll Need Some Practice.


Since this blog is also my practice space, this is an attempt at drawing a woman's face. I admit the proportions are off, but I had fun doing it. Some things I got right, like contouring, shading, and some features. As a self critic, I have a lot to learn about drawing hair, making the face symmetrical, adding realism to the eyes and more. One thing that is important is the pressure on the pencil to obtain effective results for shading and desired results for facial hair like the eye lashes and eye brows. What I liked is the shape of her lips, the realism of her eyes (even though they are not the same) and the contour of her nose. I need to work on the space between her nose and her eyes, it should be less....but if I were going for a surrealistic look, it would be ok. She almost looks like she could be a man...lol! So anyway my friends... have fun! I did! And what I am most proud of, is that I tried by stepping out of my comfort zone. It was an exploration, a journey and I made it home safely...did not get lost, and no one was hurt. These kinds of journeys are the best kind. 

To quote Miles Davis:

Do not fear mistakes...there are none!

For a first attempt, I think I scored an A for courage. I always looked at others doing these types of drawings and though that it was way above my skill level...but then how would I ever get there unless I tried. So I give myself an "A" for effort. I shall continue to practice this type of drawing and work to improve my skills. What are you doing in life to improve a skill? Feel free to share below in the comments. Thanks for visiting. 

Materials used:

  • No 2 pencil
  • No 2b pencil
  • No HB pencil

1 comment:

Please comment and subscribe to my blog. Let me know what you think of my art and if you have any questions. Thank you.