Sunday, July 22, 2018

Greeting Cards

The See-Through Card that does not "See Through"


I wanted to recreate a card I saw Jennifer McGuire make on her channel. I thought they were beautiful. She took a stamped image die cut and arranged it on a template (a piece of cardstock the size of the final card, (I used Recollections cardstock measuring 5 x 6.5 inches folded final size.) So my template was 5 x 6.5. I had matching dies and cut them out using my Cuttlebug die cutting and embossing tool. I colored them using my alcohol markers.

Where I got into trouble recreating this card was in the adhesive I used. It was sticky and never dried to a non-sticky finish. I was using UHU all purpose glue. Lesson learned, I do not recommend using this glue for this project, because if any seeps out it does not dry to a non-sticky finish.

As I created the front flap, it was sticking to the back panel. Oh boy, what do I do next to not have a total fail here? So I ended up mounting it on a piece of white cardstock. The whole idea of having a card that you could see through was gone! I had all of these white holes in the front of the design. So I got out my Nuvo drops and filled in all of the white spaces with Blue Lagoon Glitter drops. Voila! I was finally liking the shape of this card.

The card was still looking unfinished. So I added a blue border on all sides with the cardstock that I was going to match for the back panel, but I did it in strips on all four sides of the front. Now I did not like the seams showing! So I had some extra die cuts that were used in the design and used those to strategically cover up the seams. Presto! I finally was liking this card. I added some white Enamel Accents by Ranger and like magic, the card was finished. Another option I could have done was to use a rectangular die cut as a window and covered the entire front. Maybe next time.

The point is to have fun and not give up. The possibilities are endless. And if you are having fun, the exploration in the creative world is never-ending. It is the reason I enjoy watching Jennifer McGuire and others because they have spent hours to come up with some of the techniques they share on their channel.

I am posting my process here, to share with you all that you too can salvage your mistakes and make something beautiful. I'm sending this card to a lady who loves my cards and I hope will be delighted to receive this one as well. In my next post, I will share what I did to also deal with the issue of sticky adhesives.

Here are the products I used on this card:

Recollections Card Stock and envelopes Size 5.25 x 7.25 Bulk pack of 50 each
Colorbok Blue Promenade 12 x 12
Nuvo Drops Blue Lagoon Glitter
Ranger White Enamel Accents
Cuttlebug Die Cutting and Embossing Machine
Sheena /Douglass Fanciful Fuchsia Rubber Stamp Set
Camellia Reflections Stamp and Die Cut Set from Scrapbooking Made Simple
Ranger Archival Ink Black
Studio 7 Alcohol Brush Markers
Wink of Stella Clear Glitter Brush
Prismacolor Colored Pencils
Golden Regular Gel Matte Medium
Ranger Mini Sizzors
Cutter Bee Paper trimmer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment and subscribe to my blog. Let me know what you think of my art and if you have any questions. Thank you.